Sunday, September 6, 2009

Know Yourself!

A Man has got to know his limitations - Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force.

As Harry Callahan demonstrated repeatedly throughout this movie, knowing who you are and what you are is critical to the way you live your life. You should take every opportunity to find out who you are, what your skills and limits are, and what your calling in life is.

In areas where I am not a recognized expert, I frequently give the impression of arrogance or overconfidence, when in fact I am often insecure and cautious. In everything that I do, I give the impression of great intelligence, skill, and speed - only because my struggles and deficiencies are all internal.

In many ways, I know exactly who I am. I know my calling. I know my personal purpose. I know my skills. I know my personality type. I know my physical limitations. People who know me have the impression that I can do anything. Because I know my limitations, I can work right up to the edge of those limitations.

People who do not know their limitations are usually afraid to get close to their limits. The average uninformed, unselfaware (I just made that word up) person probably works to about 50% of capacity. I know exactly where my limits are. I can work right up to those limits. Even in an area where I am only average, that means I look twice as good, right?
Know yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print this post